Advanced Saxophone Course
$395/lesson, 45 mins
What is the course about?
Improve your technique, sound, musicianship, ability to play and memorise tunes and improvise solos.
What topics will we cover?
- Saxophone technique: tone, articulation, rhythmic security, finger dexterity, intonation, full register
- scale and arpeggio studies
- Reading tunes and transcription of solos
- playing by ear and memorisation
- Improvising on jazz tunes
- harmony topics
- riff development and transposition
- the importance of listening
- what and how to practice.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- have expanded your repertoire
- show improved technical ability
- have an established practice regime
- Demonstrate confidence in solo and ensemble playing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have at least with 2year's playing experience, equivalent to Grade 5. You need a good working knowledge of all major and minor scales, and the ability to sightread. Jazz experience is essential, as is the discipline to practise between classes.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Weekly practice of technical matters and study tunes. Section playing and solo playing. Tuition and coaching on a individual and ensemble basis.
Musicianship and ear training exercises. Some performances will be scheduled outside of class time.
Is there anything I need to bring? Are there any other costs?
We can provide a instrument to you in class, no adcitional cost (mouthpiece and reed should use your own).You are welcome to bring your own instrument too.
Students will be expected to make space and time for practice. A music stand ,tuner and metronome are essential for practice at home.
How about the lesson schedule?
Flexible schedule. Our lesson schedule is always busy, but we love helping sax lovers of all levels and ages so somehow we always find time to fit you in.
Do I need to have an interview before I can enrol?
Ideally you have completed Intermediate Saxophone course. Please contact me about drop-in sessions.
What's the approximate duration to finish this Level?
Apporximately 1 year, depends of your progress
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
After this course you can move on to Jazz harmony and ear training, Big Band playing, jam sessions, gigs and explore the musical world.